My new Melody Hack

 

I did say I was doing buttons next so I thought I would finally get to the Love Notions Melody hack I was thinking of. 

Here are some of my Pinspirations:

At first I thought Lyric would be a better choice, but it's supposed to be at your waist and have a more shaped bodice. 

The actual hack is really easy: cut off the shirt and gather 2 rectangles and attach. The only things to figure out are 1) how long to leave the shirt and 2) how big to make the rectangles.

I relied on this hack for Gemma for length. I tried on my Gemma and then tried on a regular Melody and measured from the shoulder down (16.25" in my case + seam allowance).

The bottom was a bit trickier. I had 3 yards of the rayon fabric from Sincerely Rylee. I held a tape measure from my Gemma seam and came up with 30", more or less, but I didn't see how that was going to fit. I wanted to do 2x either my hip or the bottom of the top. I ended up with 2x my hip by half of the width of the fabric so it was a little shorter.

Pockets are inseam, and I traced around my hand and then checked to make sure my phone fit in.  I put them 5" down from the seam which seems ok?

The buttonholes are done with my new buttonholer. These are 20L shirt buttons from Wawak (recommended!) and the 1/2" template made the perfect size. While the feeddogs were down, I also used the machine for the buttons. Worked great! Next time I might count how many back and forths I do so it's consistent.

The only thing that isn't perfect is the hem. I decided to do a blind hem because the fabric is pretty thin but it looks pretty bad. I may re-do.

Ta-da! The finished article:

Comments