Ever have a pattern that sucks the sewjo right out of you?

 I'm usually pretty steady, but 2020, and this stinking pattern.

I couldn't even exert the effort to take a decent picture.  I tried to get this done in time for a camping trip the weekend of September 25, but it wasn't happening.

This is my millionth Simplicity 1043. 


I mean, I've been making it since size 5, maybe? I'm finally making size 14 which is still a little big on Mr 8 but seems to fit too well on Ms 8. The candy cane fabric was from an after Christmas sale at JoAnn's for $1.79/yd but I ran short so the sleeves, collar facing and a strip on the sides is a solid red I had as a remnant.

Too late, I saw Karina's video on doing a facing instead of the snips the camp style collar. If I had seen that, maybe I would feel less hateful about this one. I did take from the Melody pattern the idea of machine stitching in the ditch for the facings. All of my son's facings flop out. He has somehow pulled out all my hand stitching.

At least for this I did get to play with my new machine foot set and use my buttonholer. 

I should mention how they are able to wear these so long. First I make them big. Second I cut the elastic long and fasten it with a safety pin that I let out as needed. Third, I do the real hem and then I do a second really deep blind hem. It's super easy to remove as they get taller.

I did manage to make the view B and D for my son for that trip and I played with my coverstitch to do the hems. I was rushed, but I probably made this in an hour and a half. Also from JoAnn's remnants:


I don't know if you can tell, but I reverse cover stitched the car on the front.

Below I'll paste whatever else I can find from my photos:

This is view A. Super short on Ms8 (or probably 7 at the time). She's never been excited about it:

View b cut to short sleeves and the pants cut to shorts.





Comments