If your coverstitch keeps bogging down...

Well first, pull the little knob out at the bottom to release the looper and free your fabric.  But anyway. I was making a Boyfriend Cardigan for my niece (using a beautiful soft sweater knit from my stash... so sorry to donate it to the cause). I was on the final step, top stitching the band at the front and it just would not.


I don't know if you can tell, but it's all skippy. In one spot I had to actually darn and fray check because I got impatient. 

So then, I remembered on the love notions fb group, Noreen showed how she used toilet paper under her fabric to keep it from being eaten. 

Worked beautifully:


Only... now I had toilet paper sewn to the sweater. And it was late. And I was tired. And I had one more gift to make.... So I pulled off both sides, but it was still under the threads. I thought I could just pull that out the bottom with my tweezers but no.

So, it turns out the fake Northern from Costco... is actually pretty strong?  I asked the coverstitch group and some suggested I rip out all the stitching (no freaking way). Others suggested water since it's tp after all. 

After washing and drying:
Yeah, I'm calling it water soluble interfacing and going with it. 


So the lesson. yes this works. Maybe use camper tp? or like Scotts? or ... not something thick?



Comments