Some ideas for sewn teacher gifts

 I'm sure it's easy to find round-ups of all sorts of things you can sew for teachers, but I just want to post some affiliation-free ideas from my experience. I sometimes tucked gift cards and other goodies into these, too.


Tote bags or shopping bags.

Around here, there's a 5 cent tax on store provided bags in several local counties and cities. Even if not, it's nice to create as little waste as possible. 

I like bags that are really sturdy for canned goods and can be thrown in the washer regularly - particularly if there's an accidental meat leak.

There are a million patterns, but I like the free one from Stitch Upon a Time


I bind in the inside bottom seam which makes them neater and more durable:

I gave 3 to each teacher and packed them with a note from the kid:

One year I sewed a pocket inside and the kids wrote on it in fabric paint:




Pocket scarves

I used the free Patterns for Pirates zipper scarf tutorial and turned through the pocket bottom.
I love this picture:


Card wallet

I love the Get Carded card wallet from Dog Under my DeskThis is a pattern worth paying for. It's got really neat construction and details. It's quick and doesn't use much fabric.






Ideas, Not Tested

Here are some other things I'm considering:

  • Masks (too personal? not sure)
  • Apron (like the new one from Hey June)
  • A pouch to carry sanitizer
  • A pouch to carry chapstick (except nobody can reach their lips right now because masks, d'oh!)

NOT SUCCESSFUL

This is a cool thing that you use to hold your phone when you're charging it. Nobody got it. They didn't know what to do with it. Fail.



Also, I think this hat is super cool, but also not terribly well received by a teacher. My son loves his.

(Cousin Eddy from Petite Stitchery)





Comments