First go at George and Ginger's Switch It Up

 

sports bra/bralette in cream and purple on a black and white table cloth

purple and cream sports bra bralette on a black and white table cloth

I purchased these patterns in a bundle in the release sale. So many options! Plus I know the LBB fits me well, so I thought this would work. I need to get back to my toile of the Lanai. I really, really need comfortable bras and right now only one of my two Iris is really comfortable (other is too big and has powernet on the inside - itchy!), one of my Delvine (but only some times during the month because the darts get itchy), and my two LBBs. Oh and all my Endurance are awesome but I don't sit around in those. Ok, that makes it sound like I have a lot, but no.

Anyway. You're supposed to do a plain front with a fancy back or a plain back with a fancy front. I did a fancy front with a fancy back and it's a bit weird at the shoulder. 

It's made to be enclosed seams on the plain side and bound on the fancy side but this looks a little off to me? I'm thinking I'm going to trim the seam allowance and bind all the way around using my coverstitch. Wish me luck :)

This has mesh sandwiched throughout which is way too much for the back. It also has 1.25" knit elastic in the band. I sewed the entire thing on my regular machine with a narrow zigzag. I want to cut the band in the back and add a fastener but I was reluctant to use my good bra supplies. I still might - maybe white so it's not such an investment :)

Fit: the front is a bit low. I'm going to size up next time. Otherwise feels good. 

You can make use of scraps for some pieces but the fancy backs can use a lot.
a scrap of purple cotton lycra


Edit: I added a fastener. 2 hooks were a bit narrow but 3 were a bit wide. Next time I'll narrow the band center back. Of course I put the hook on the wrong side, sigh. 




I wore it all day yesterday (maybe like 20 hours?). The back shoulders got a little sore from the pressure and the front got really low, but no escapes. I think this will be fine, but I've got some adjustments for the next one.



Comments