Green matelassé Metra blazer

 


I made the Metra Blazer from Love Notions. I envision a navy or charcoal or black shawl collar, but I wanted a practice garment first. I originally bought this matelassé fabric from GStreet to make joggers but the more I looked at it and how bouncy it is the less I liked that idea. Then I was thinking of making a Bianca with it or maybe a quarter zip hoodie? And then I saw one of the testers who did it in a charcoal colored quilted knit and 😍 

I made the 2x graded to the 3x with the full bust piece and with a 1/2" narrow shoulder adjustment. That turned out to be too big in the front so next time I'll do the standard bust which will also remove extra from waist and hip. 

Arms. Le sigh. 
The 2X is designed for 14.5" biceps with 3" of ease. I now have 17" biceps so I added 3.5". 
I added
  • 1 with the standard slash and spread, 
  • 1 by curving out both seams 1/2"
  • 1.5 by adding on to the side seams of the sleeve and adjusting the armscye. In this case I really wanted more depth over farther out so I put my tape measure on its side and moved it around until it was the right length. 

As promised, the details are excellent and it's a really clean finish inside. If I do make a fancier one, I'm definitely going to do a blind hem or hand hem the back and the sleeves. The coverstitch is clean but definitely more casual.

If you've gotten this far... be careful how much you cut in at the collar. I'm certain I only cut exactly to the dot but those stitches at that point are only in a thread or two of fabric. I'll try to be even more careful next time. I topstitched the shoulder line and back of the neck to reinforce. For this one it's no big deal but that's not something you would do on a dressier one.

Comments