Meet Bob.

 

I had the Style Arc Bob pants and the Sew Liberated Arthur pants on my wish list for a while. I had pretty much decided on the Sew Liberated as it has more options, but put it off because I thought I wouldn't get to making them right away. But now I'm faced with working at the office and I'm not keen on my "hard pants" again.  Then they had a 25% sale and of course you get a free bonus pattern so I got both Bob and Florence for about $8 US.

For fabric, I used a mystery 3yards/$8 roll from Walmart:


Linen - rayon mix? It sure did get lighter. I washed and dried before sewing. I don't know if my chub rub will destroy this right away. I had intended it for either Allegro or Summer Caye pants but my Allegro toile is not good yet. 

Sizing. I measured according to Karina's video series. It was weird because there were *inches* extra in the front rise and the back rise was short. I also measured with a framing square to get what of my back rise was up and down. That totally explains why pants with an L-shaped curve fit much better back there. What I think Karina misses (and what Love Notions and other guides miss) is that larger sizes need proportionate ease. So 2" of ease in a size 8 vs 2" of ease in a size 22. Anyway, there's a lot more spread. Barbara Deckert in Sewing for Plus Sizes has a table which is intended for larger plus sizes (maybe too much for me but somewhere in the middle is good) which has 6" as a good ease. 

I ended up just taking an inch out of center front rise and adding an inch to the back. I probably should have reshaped the back crotch curve as you can see from the pictures. Also the front rise is still too long. It does me no good if I have to wear chub rub shorts underneath. 

I also altered the pockets to go all the way up to the waistband. 








I really like that they have you zigzag the elastic to the inside top of the band so it doesn't turn. Unfortunately this knitted elastic from Wawak is a little soft and I guess I didn't make it tight enough and it's not easy to adjust. It might have been tight enough if the front rise was shorter so they sat where they should. 

I snipped a little 5/8" hole and made a buttonhole by hand following this helpful video.

(I just used tex 40 thread I had for a slipcover I'm making since I didn't have the fancy thread she mentions)

I threaded 1/2" twill tape through and can now tie it tight enough to actually use the pockets which turned out too big. 


After all this I think I actually like my Dawn jeans better?  I mean these just feel like they're going to rub and fall down. We shall see! I'll come back and add styled pictures if I can.


Edit:
Styled with my Norma blouse



Comments