My first George and Ginger Paranoid Shirt





I just fell in love with the whole Grunge collection when it released but I'm still working my way through the patterns. I was hoping the Paranoid would be the pattern for a bunch of different shirts with silky, cottony, and warm variations. I guess the search continues. 


This is really slapdash construction and I guess it's sufficient for, say, tying around your waist or throwing on over something for warmth but you can buy a cheap flannel shirt for less than $20 (maybe less than $15). The reason to make your own is to have a good fit or fabrics but... try a different pattern. 

My complaints:
  • Yoke is supposed to be one layer with an itchy seam across your upper back (I doubled and cut on bias and burrito rolled - not in the instructions) 

  • Seam allowances are 1/4" which is really difficult to deal with in pressing up and also doesn't allow you to do felled or French seams. In fact, it's a bit touch and go if your serging is going to show.
  • The collar is cut on the lengthwise fold and doesn't have a separate collar stand 

  • The only place interfacing is called for is in the front placket but I did put it in the upper half of the collar, too. I wish I had put it in the cuffs, but then again SF101 is expensive. 
  • The sleeve is really messy - not bound or column or tower 

  • I think the pockets are too small. Also I didn't want to bother matching them so I cut on bias. 
  • There's no pleat where the sleeve goes into the cuff so that's odd. 

The sleeves and body are a bit long on this but that's maybe my fault. I didn't try that on first. 







 

Comments