New hacked flannel Peppermint Everyday Dress with big sleeves




I follow the hashtag (#pepperminteverydaydress) for this pattern on Instagram and I recently saw someone make the dress in a brown windowpane flannel. Looked great and comfy! 

Around Thanksgiving, JoAnn Fabrics had a plaiditudes doorbuster sale for $3.99/yard. This flannel is a good bit heavier and has a woven pattern instead of printed on like the cozy and other ones. I got 3.5 yards.

So the problem is for my size (4 graded to 5), the sleeves require quite a bit of width. 

At the same time, I've been watching a lot of Sewing Therapy videos (recommend!). She has a great hack to add big gathered sleeves to this dress and also any bodice with set in sleeves. Ta-da!
 

She recommends from about 7-11" of length, but it's winter and I'm bigger so I went with 11.75" (ok).
For around, I drew the 90 degree line down from the shoulder to intersect with the side seam and measured that (ok). 
For the band at the bottom, I was very concerned it would be too tight. She recommends 13-15" but I went with 16". Since it ends low forearm-wrist area on me, this is way too big. It also isn't as poofy because it isn't gathered very tightly. Next time I will go with 14-15" if I make the sleeves this long.

The only other change I made is to make the pockets bigger. I just put my phone on the pattern and make sure it isn't going to fall out. 

I have it "styled" here with sweatpants and crocs, but would probably wear leggings and nicer clogs.

I definitely recommend this pattern and hack.



Comments