Another pair of chinos hacked from the Megan Nielsen Dawn (curve) jeans

 






I knew I wanted some cropped pants from a 10oz black ripstop cotton I got from Big Duck Canvas in a sale a bit ago, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to repeat the narrow/straight cut I did for my light gray chinos or go with a wide cut. So I did a poll on Instagram and it was pretty split with narrow or wide but the majority voted for slash pockets in the front and welt/jetted in the back. I chose the wide leg crops for now.

Pinspiration: 


To get the slash pocket, I overlaid the Anzu skirt and pocket over the Dawn and changed the cut line. I then created a pocket facing - the small part you sew to the pocket bag so you see main fabric behind the pocket opening. Unfortunately, I only planned for a 3/4" overlap. When I tried the pants on you could see so much pocket bag from the front. So I went back and tucked another 3" of fabric in and sewed it down (fairly awkwardly). 





For the back, I made them 6" by a 5/8" welt. I used this tutorial: https://threadtheory.ca/blogs/tutorials/welt-pocket-tutorial . This tutorial doesn't have you sew down the top and the bottom but I think I would next time to keep the edge from rolling out. Otherwise, I like this and combined it with the pocket bag from the sew a little seam Linden.

I might need to go back and let out the center back seam to solve the wedgie issue



Comments