After the fact shortening the front rise

 In this post I'll describe how I fixed the front rise in my Sculthorpe pants after I finished sewing them. 


I originally toiled the Sculthorpe pants in July 2020. They were just wrong. The front was super baggy and the back rise was tight. The thighs were tight. I had a lot of help but it wasn't looking good. Then someone convinced me I had absolutely switched up the side panels. If I just put them on right everything would work out. 
line drawing of the sculthorpe




So a few months ago in April, I made them again in the size that matched my seated hips measurement. They were horrible. My expression, lol.





Yesterday, I found them under a pile and tried them on. Seems like I've sort of grown into them a bit? But the front rise is still an issue. So I tried pulling up at the front waist and that was a no-go. It made the legs all weird and didn't really solve the problem.

If I pinched out excess about 3.5" down from the waistband. It was fine. The crotch came up to a good place. Back was still ok. Sides hung ok. I could pinch out 1.5 to 2". What I obviously needed to do was the slash and overlap. (can you see below? you cut from the seam allowance on the hip to the center and then overlap)


showing the slash and overlap way to remove rise length

What I did, and it worked, is to pinch out darts from the center tapering to nothing at the panel seams

line drawing of pants with chevron shape in the center


image showing navy fabric with 3 white lines


It was very difficult not to get a pucker on one side, for some reason, but it's reasonably smooth now. It matched better when there was a huge pucker, of course! But I'm satisfied.

While I was sewing, I went ahead and put a buttonhole there at the top with my 4 step setting. I will probably want a drawstring so I can load my pockets down. 










Comments