Sewing for Winter Running

 


Photo by Timothy Eberly on Unsplash

I completed another beginning running course this spring and I'm really enjoying being back into running. I've run on and off from the summer before I started college in 1991. I live in Maryland - tagline "American in Miniature" - so we have all the seasons and sometimes all the seasons in one day. Any given day during the summer we can be hotter and more humid than Florida and sometimes during the winter we are colder than Maine. We've had fairly mild winters recently, which is disappointing for all of us who enjoy the 2-3 5" snows we used to get per year. Generally when it snows here it doesn't stick around so it's nice and then we have something else. We do get freezing rain a bit which is really treacherous.

I definitely prefer to run outside although I did run exclusively on the treadmill when my kids were babies. In the past when it was pretty cold (17F or -8C), I would throw my Columbia shell from college over my running outfit. I looked pretty rag-tag but it worked.  Now I'm more worried about friction and my sewing abilities have improved and I have access to more technical fabrics, I'm looking for better combinations for every temperature from 50F to 0F  (at some point I will just take to the treadmill again). Also for wind, rain, sneet, sleet, snow, etc., that we might have at any of those temperatures. I'm pretty clumsy so I might also stay inside if the streets are super slippy. 

This post is an overview of my sewing plans with some patterns and fabrics. I expect this to change but it's a start.

I have a Pinterest board I'm starting that has ideas but what you should know:

  1. most people who recommend running gear including those in magazines are sponsored and are biased 
  2. links expire over time 
  3. very few ready to wear pieces come in my size. 

Jacket

The jacket is probably the most important thing. From what I can tell you are mostly picking between breathability and water resistance. I do not run for hours (although I could also wear these jackets for hiking), so I don't need it to be absolutely waterproof if that means it isn't breathable.

For coldest weather, right now I'm thinking about making a Styla Kodiak https://littlelizardking.com/products/styla-kodiak 

In a Discovery fabric Adventure stretch woven in Navy that I ordered in the recent sale. Someone who isn't me would probably color coordinate but I tried to optimize for function. I need to have room underneath for layers and also some butt coverage for warmth.

Down to about 35F right now I'm wearing my Greenstyle Sundance jackets. The pink is not as warm but it was fine this morning for 34F with a tank top underneath.
The black is fuzzy on the back (no idea of the fabric - its' from a Walmart bundle of all things) so probably good for even colder

Vest

I've never been a big vest person but it is a way to add wind resistance and keep your core warm while running. There seem to be two real types: wind/water blocking light weight and fleece or puffer for warmth. I have a fleece vest already but I plan to make a wind resistant vest without a hood.
I'm using the Love Notions Oakley view C but without the hood.

I'm using an orange fabric that is just like the red I tested in this post.

I'll line it with dimple mesh. 

Midlayer Tops

I have one Pacific Pullover and I plan to make more quarter zip and possibly a vest-type
I need something that's soft and a bit warmer. right now I have some pin dot stretch from Nick of Time

and I have a similar fabric in gray from FabricMart that I may use.


Tops

Besides sports bras (I always wear the Greenstyle Endurance so that's year round), I either wear tank tops, short sleeve shirts, or long sleeve shirts under the above layers. These are mostly dimple mesh from various sources, but I'm looking for something better.

Tanks: Greenstyle Ascend. I think I have enough of these for now. I tried wearing a more fitted tank but I just didn't find it comfortable.



Short sleeve tops, I like the Love Notions Classic Tee

Long sleeve tops, I like the Greenstyle Leeward 




Bottoms

I bought some nice supplex in one of Greenstyle's sales. Assuming I have enough, I plan to make some Spark and Stride tights



There are a lot of suggestions for wearing two pair of tights or fleece lined tights. We'll see how these work.

Edit: May acquire some Polartec Windpro Stretch or Polartec Power Stretch Fleece to make running tights. I may need to make the Cavallo because it requires less stretch (also a great pattern)





The surface of my butt gets cold (which apparently isn't as weird as I thought - it has to do with the fat not getting the blood flow). So I'm debating making an over skirt. I may just draft this from my sloper but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I might try fleece first so it's not a waste if it doesn't work. Seems the most popular styles are a-line or a-line wrap. Happy to have ideas if anyone has experience.

Edit: May do something with the Anzu (not inclusive) since it fits really well - and in the shorter length




Accessories

Mittens

I've been wearing cheap gloves and those are ok, but I might want some wind resistant mittens for colder. I can use leftovers from my vest or jacket for these. Something like these: https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2308105 . A possible pattern is the Menta Mittens . There are free patterns out there that I have made in the past but they weren't amazing.

Hats

I have a ventilated ball cap for sun.  I've made the free Greenstyle earwarmer in the past and may make one of them: https://greenstyle.com/products/alpine-earwarmer-youth-and-adult-sizes-included
Regular fleece isn't really stretchy enough so still working out the best fabric.


I've also been wearing P4P free slouchy beanie made from a sweater knit that seems to be doing an excellent job of wicking away sweat and staying warm. My ponytail can just go in the top with no problem. I need a couple more but I'll probably just see what I have in my stash.

I tried a slouchy headwarmer, but it wasn't big enough. I will probably try another in a larger size


So that's it for now. 







Comments