My first Auburn Blazer - and this was a journey!

 


Even before Cashmerette released their Auburn Blazer, I wanted it. I followed the sewalong, I picked out a few different fabrics. I bought shoulder pads.... and then I didn't!  I try to be fearless, but I'm not always. 

Finally, in the SewSew Guild (you're invited!  free to join!  we're really nice) we had a little #blazuary sewalong. Informally we decided to sew jackets and blazers together in January. I had a few things I was working on so I finished about a month late. 

What I really wanted was something like this: 


And Auburn is supposed to be something you can sew from a stable knit. I had a lovely ponte from FabricMart Fabrics that was a nice matte, very soft viscose/nylon/lycra blend. I had some ITY for lining and then some leftover acetate lining for the sleeves. 

First step was to make a toile. I took updated measurements, consulted their calculator, looked at the body and finished measurements and then cut a toile 16 E/F blended to 22 at the waist and then back in to 20 at the hip.


It was pretty close, but the full bicep sleeve was too narrow - particularly if I wanted to wear more casual clothes under. 



I added by both adding on to the seams and the by bowing out at the seam at the back of the sleeve. I updated the armscye to match the new seam length.  I made the same changes to the lining pieces.

As for interfacing - I followed the instructions and used weft for the front and knit for the facing. So this essentially did away with the benefit of knit in the front. Sigh. 

Sewing is pretty straightforward with a few tricky pieces. Watch Saremy sew it or follow the sewalong.

Ok, so ponte. Boing!  Yeah, clapper. Steam. BOING! 

Do you see the left side here? yeah. That's after pressing. So I decided to pick stitch or prick stitch the collar. I had never heard of this but two experts in the guild (thank you Terri and Shem!) had mentioned it and there are lots of YouTube videos. 


 It didn't take very long. There's some extra blood on the back 🤷‍♀️





So I'm happy and I'm going to wear it. I would recommend making a woven version first - something that presses. I would eventually like to make a non-lined version from a sweater fleece or something? But maybe next year.  Next up maybe some trousers to match.

Comments