Testing fabric to see if it's water resistant and or wicking


I was excited to see the new anorak pattern from The Sew Sew only requires 2yds for my size - quite rare. I have a few 2yd Walmart bundles but I wasn't sure if they would be appropriate. I tested two with water. 

The bundles: 
A lightweight polyester or nylon backed by a white latex-like coating

A heavy green ripstop-like grid that's possibly nylon.


Experimental set-up. I laid the fabric over 2 glasses so I could test each side. I then poured a bit of water on and left sitting. The red I also tucked around a wet sponge sitting on a plate. It is slightly more than draped, but not compressing the sponge.

After a half hour, the water is just sitting on both sides of the green


The water was sitting on the red side, but had absorbed in to the white side.






After another half hour, the white side looked smooth again, and was just damp. I guess the water had been distributed and some evaporated. The bead of water was still sitting on the red side. I couldn't really see that the water from the sponge went anywhere. 

The green, one side was a bit damp under the bead of water, the other wasn't. So I've marked the damp side to be the inside.


I think both of these would work as rain jackets. I'm calling the red wicking. The green would probably feel like wearing a garbage bag. I'll probably still start with that. I think the white side will need to be lined with an athletic wicking jersey or mesh.

Comments