Encore hack or how I rescued a seemingly cursed make




I mentioned in my previous post that I planned to use a lovely olive corduroy for my final Encore skirt. I've thought back over it and I still don't know how it happened. I had the projector calibrated - at 19.2% like it had been for the last several times I set it up. I had lunch, and then I came back and cut out the entire skirt. When I lifted the waistband off the table (the last thing I cut, of course) it was obviously smaller than anything I wear. I recalibrated and yep, correct setting is now 21 something. At my size those few percent really add up.

I quickly grabbed some other fabric and made the skirt. Now that I made the deadline, I can go back and fix this one.


I put the cut out piece on the mat, lined up with the grain line. I then looked at the a-line pattern in my size and moved it down until I could cut it out of the original piece. I lost a few inches in length. 

I sewed it up, but it came right to the widest part of my calf. I considered going knee length, but I'm not likely to wear that.

I have had a few lantern skirts pinned so I decided to add length that way



I wasn't sure how to do it, so I just winged it. I first measured the bottom of each gore to make sure they hadn't stretched and this is what I had:

You see what I did, right? My first thought was to leave it because the seams were sewn, serged, and topstitched:

But the waist had been wonky and I had some videos to watch while my kids were at school.
I put it back together the right way and it was fine. I tried it on again and held a yardstick up to see how long to make the panel. I decided on 8" which would allow a seam allowance and a hem. Of course when cutting out the panels I forgot the seam allowances on the side. So I sewed them up with a 1/8" seam allowance for the first half inch and then to 3/4" at 1" from the bottom for the hem allowance. Connected all the pieces (which I had carefully labeled) and sewed on to the skirt with a basting stitch. Tried it on. Phew!  looked good. 

Then I serged all the vertical seams and debated sewing the panel with a regular stitch length. I decided to leave it at the 4 stitch length since I was topstitching and serging. 




And I finished with the regular hem. I'm pretty pleased with it but it was a ton of seams.















Comments