Pressure cooker black beans


Ever since I broke the insert for my smaller crockpot I've been experimenting. Having beans around provides a cheap protein source. Doing two pounds in the big crockpot hasn't worked all that well. My mom gave me a 1970's era 4qt pressure cooker so I decided to try it. 

My pinto beans weren't awesome. 

Then I needed black beans for burritos I was making with Cook's Illustrated crockpot everyday beef filling (yum). There is lots of conflicting advice so I tried to take the best. 

Pre- soak - normally I wouldn't but I decided to do one of the hurry-up methods. I covered them with water and brought them to a boil. I boiled them for 2 minutes, turned them off and then set the lid over. (The other way is to pressure cook for 2 min. But that's a hassle)

Then I went to the grocery store, came home, made lunch, and then went back to the beans. 
I drained and rinsed them and the ps and then sautéed a small onion chopped small until it was soft with some sliced "Kentucky Legacy" ham cut in squares

Comments