Mask roundup, months on

Everyone is tired of masks, I know, but they'll be part of our lives for a while so I thought I would reflect on my experiences.

When we first discussed them in February and March there was a lot of hesitation. How effective are they? What's the point if they only block xx% of incoming virus-sized particles? We should only have them for healthcare workers so they can stretch their N95 masks further...

To where we are now that we know it's more for outgoing than incoming and where we know that they can drastically drop community transmission.

Model simulations, using data relevant to COVID-19 dynamics in the US states of New York and Washington, suggest that broad adoption of even relatively ineffective face masks may meaningfully reduce community transmission of COVID-19 and decrease peak hospitalizations and deaths. 
 Eikenberry, S.E., et al (2020) To mask or not to mask: Modeling the potential for face mask use by the general public to curtail the COVID-19 pandemic. Infectious Disease 5, 2020, pp 93-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idm.2020.04.001

Early on there was a lot of effort to add increasingly more elaborate filters from vacuum bags to shop towels to surgical tool wrap to try to filter more incoming. Now, I think the main goal is to get people to wear them every time they go out, all the time, and the right way (actually covering mouth and nose).

I started by making the standard 3 pleat mask but quickly ran out of elastic.

These were donated to Frederick Memorial Hospital using the pattern they requested. The ties were hand folded and pressed (ouch!)


Then my husband 3D printed me a bias binding maker which really saved my fingers: 

If you want one, the file is available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4232886

So then I transitioned to another pattern with darts and a filter pocket: 
This was designed by a nurse who ran a quilt shop, and has a filter pocket, but it's too big and slides up on your eyes. 

So then I gave in and made the Craft Passion one - and that's the one I currently wear the most:
These were donated to work. They have t-shirt (100% cotton jersey) straps and are open to put filter material in if desired.  The one I wear I have a continuous length of t-shirt material that goes up and then around the head and ties behind the neck.

Finally, I made the 3D mask revised version with some stretch elastic from GStreet - it's round but not obnoxious. I used this pattern. This is the only one left to take a picture of because 3/8" elastic will not work so it needs to be replaced. Everyone seems to like this the best because it cups around nicely. 


Other information:
Nose wires. We started with twist ties, etc., but then the Sheet Metal Workers Union advertised free nose pieces upon request and I got some from them. I put them in all the ones I've donated. It looks like they've stopped doing that now.

Straps: 
People still want ear elastic and then complain it hurts. I like the bias tape ties. I've evolved from hand pressing them to the tape maker to using the coverstitch binder. I also like the strips of t-shirt around the back of the head. You don't have to untie and retie that and it stays on slippery hair. 

Comments