Still making things complicated - Self-drafted denim skirt

 

I so wanted a midi-length denim skirt. I actually wanted a lighter colored one but really any denim skirt. I knew, though, that it was really unlikely that ready to wear would work, and it would probably make me mad. 

Here are some pinspirations:



So my remaining options were:
  • buy a pattern like Tommie or Iman.
  • modify a jeans pattern that fits well
  • go from my sloper
Started with the Dawn jeans
this doesn't look so bad, but it just didn't feel right: 

So then I went back to using my sloper. I made a contour waistband by cutting off the top of the sloper and closing up the darts, adding seam allowance. Then I kept the rest of the dart in the front and added the pockets from the Dawn jeans - and the fly (more on that in a bit). In the back, I made another cut across to make a yoke, and closed up those darts (boy was that curvy). The last little bit of the back darts I moved to the side seam. Made a toile, close enough. 

Cut it out from this:

If you don't recognize the label, it's from FabricMart.

Then I needed topstitching thread. 

Terri from the SewSew Guild suggested the ones from Wawak. I tested the Lee's and the Levi's and went with the Levi's. I 100% would never have picked that but it's perfect. Glad I asked the experts!

I cut 3/8" seam allowances because I'm cheap but the Dawns are meant to have 5/8" and this caused trouble with the fly. Next time - 5/8". 

Once I got it together, sort of, but before I put the waistband on I tried it. there was weirdly too much in the back. I don't think I've ever said that!  I took out like a couple inches from the back yoke and then 3/4" from the back side seam (only). The front was fine. 

Lots of advice from the guild and I got there. My buttonholer did not want to, at all, so I used the 4-step buttonhole. It's not as pretty but it's functional. 



I might go back and put bar tacks at the top corners of the pockets. Besides that, all done. Very comfortable at work today and I don't think a ready to wear would have been. 







Comments