My Venice Beach Shorts Hacks

 You know how you're supposed to only change one variable at a time when you experiment? Well, I threw that out the window and went a bit wild. 

Ok here's the as-designed Greenstyle Creations Venice Beach Shorts I tested for review.

[ Original inspiration was here see below for new image And here's the inspiration: 


Note: as of February 2022, the link above is 404-ing, here's a view directly from the Oiselle site:


Note, she needs a longer rise, and I have fixed that on mine. Did anyone else originally think she was putting Doritos in there? Just me? Ok.

Here's where I ended up: 

Side view just showing shorts

Flat lay on light wood surface showing side

First:

Lengthened 2 inches (1.5 to get to get from the 4.5 of original to 6 of inspiration plus 0.5" hem)

I just continued the line of the side straight down. I suspect if you have skinny thighs you may want to taper more but I have no idea what it's like to sew for skinny thighs :)


Second:

Folded back seam allowance and traced around a plate and free handed curve for shape of hem.

Copied from cut off piece to make symmetrical

Third:

Pocket... Ok, this was a bit of a struggle and I learned a lot. 

I cut two piece A pocket for each side and since it was going in a seam, I made the extension 3/8" longer. No picture, alas, just the part that matches the side seam sticks out extra for pocket backs.

First I wanted to just use an invisible zipper. But I had one black and one navy and it wouldn't be true to the inspiration. I looked carefully at this tutorial, but I was too tired. So then I looked at various exposed and welted. And then I was like, you know, there used to be instructions right in the zipper packaging... oh, these were from Wawak (so like <20c vs 1.79 ea) so no joy... But I remembered the term "lapped" zipper.. Ah-ha!  So look at this nice lapped zipper tutorial from Utah State's Extension Office.

But eek, I didn't allow 5/8" oh well, they'll stretch??  I first ironed some fusible interfacing to the seam allowance, but that was just awkward and it easily peeled off. So I just followed that lapped tutorial, tucking the pocked fabric in the seams and then serged around the pocket bag, very carefully serged the rest of the side seam, and basted the top of the pocket at the edge of the waist. I hand basted, too.

If I do this again, maybe softer zipper tape or sturdier fabric, remember to leave 5/8" seam allowance for that seam, and try to have matching thread :)  Oh, and probably shorter zippers. These were probably 8" but 6" probably would have been fine? Walking foot would be handy. 

I realize I'm leaving out pocket detail, but I can double back to it if anyone asks. You can tell when I stayed up the night before to sew - glasses.


edited 2/6/22 to add new inspiration picture and link.


Comments